Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System

From: Nezumi
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:32:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Joseph Toscano wrote:

> Indeed, I like both ways. But there is definitely a charm to SoM's system
> that makes it really fun. I'd like Adonthell to have a system like that.
> Something that you don't see every day, and which is very fun.

Very true.  I wouldn't mind seeing something that takes inspiration from
say, SoM and Star Ocean 2, but altered to fit our needs.  Group battles
would be great where you set each character's style, but only actually
control one directly (and other players could play other ones).  The nice
thing about the SO2 system is that all you have to do is pause in order to
get the option of changing which character you're fighting with.

A thought on magic.  What about hotkeys?  You can only have, say about
three or four spells that you can equip for any particular battle.  Those
get assigned to four keys, maybe function keys, maybe number keys or
something else.  It doesn't matter.  That would prevent having to hit a
magic menu during combat, and maybe after the game is done the legions of
RPG fanboys could debate over what spell combinations are best on
particular monsters.  ^_^

> Yep. I think there should be an "Ally AI Configuration" screen, wherein you
> can decide whether the character should be generally defensive, or
> offensive, or what.

This is present in a lot of games, way back to the SNES days.  And it's
still a good idea.

> Hrm. But wouldn't it be cool for the player to decide whether he should
> increase his Magic Attack skill, or his Physical Attack skill? I think
> that'd be more nifty than just letting the computer decide.

What's funny about that is I saw this done in Mario RPG, of all places.
Each level up, you get to assign points to either magic, attack/defense,
or HP.

What I can imagine us doing, though, is choosing to weight the points in a
particular direction.  You'd still get a stength benefit at level up, but
it's a lot less if you channel your energies into magic instead.  The
opposite would also be true.

> I agree for the most part. I just really think, like I said, that Adonthell
> shouldn't feel typical. It should feel like a new and fun game to play.

Definitely.  I think we're on the right track already.

--
                      Nezumi * address@hidden
 "I gained nothing at all from Supreme Enlightenment, and for that very