Re: [Adonthell-devel] I18n stuff committed

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] I18n stuff committed
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 22:55:18 +0100

On 16 Mar 2002 22:23:17 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> That will be a short one then: Just need to translate "Segmentation
> fault" ;)

Not even that, as it is translated in the C library already ;).

> > The second contains libintl. This is everything we need to use
> > gettext, so on systems without GNU gettext, libintl will be build
> > and linked to Adonthell. I haven't tested if that really works,
> > maybe some changes to configure.in or some Makefiles has to be made.
>
> Is it mandatory? It is taking 350Kb from what I see. Of course, that's
> not very serious, but as it is only needed for compilation, maybe we
> could do without it. But if the standard behavior is to include it
> with the sources, then let it be.

It's not really mandatory. I've seen projects that have it included and
others that don't have it. The advantage of having it is that people
need not install another library to use i18n. That's why I added it.

> > I also found that some characters don't display properly, like the
> > German 'ä', 'ö' or 'ü'. Maybe the problem is that I'm using a
> > fantasy locale at the moment. I'll correct that of course.
>
> I think dlgedit use a fixed charset instead of using the locales one.
> Accentuated characters "é", "è" doesn't work neither in the load file
> window for example, while they pass perfectly with other GTK apps. The
> little dlgedit bubbles are working, however. But German characters
> work nowhere.

Hm. I have made a small fix in the meantime that displays the proper
German characters. The french characters of your translation are also
displayed correctly now. So that issue might be solved.

> Not complicated actually - most of the work (generating templates and
> so on) can be automated by the building procedure. Then taking a .pot
> file and translating it is very easy - either with Emacs or Kbabel,
> for those who don't like keyboard shortcuts ;)

Right. It's not too bad, provided we give a short introduction and point
people towards those tools. Of course there's also the gettext docu, but
that is too bloated to serve as a quick start manual.