Re: [Adonthell-devel] unified event system

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] unified event system
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 21:06:49 +0200

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:10:26 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> -Remember that the inputs have no sense in the case of a dedicated
> server. In the case of a pure client, game events will never be
> launched. Therefore there should still be a kind of independence
> between the input and game events, even though I agree they should
> work with the same mechanism.

Well, it shouldn't be a problem to build a client or server without a
certain event type. They both would include the event system core
though: event_list, event_handlers, the base event class and whatever
specialized events they need.

> -How about trying to have a more flexible callbacks system? I mean,
> making Python callbacks involves using a different callback class.
> Couldn't we have a callback class that we can assign a C++ or Python
> callback, at will? That's be much easier to integrate them in the game
> IMO.

Yeah, that would be nice. Right now events allow to register both Python
and C++ callbacks, but the code for that is in the event class. The
window system does require the same, but it can't reuse the code of the
event class. If we had a more basic and flexible callback class, both
event and window system could use that instead.

> But once again, Python might not be needed everywhere. Unless we
> decide that Python is a part of the core Adonthell and keep the
> callback mechanism in the base module (which makes sense as well).

Heh. I think we can safely say that python is required everywhere :). At
least I couldn't think of a component that does not use python in some
way or another.