Re: [Adonthell-devel] unified event system

From: joel vennin
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] unified event system
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:53:03 +0200 (CEST)

 --- Kai Sterker <address@hidden> a écrit : > I had
some more thoughts about integrating input
> events into the common
> event system. Before I forget them, I better send
> 'em to the list.
>
> Basically, each window system object that can
> recieve input would
> inherit from event_list. It could then add events
> for any keypress it
> wants to recieve to the list. From there on
> everything would work
> automatically.

The new window input system dispatch all input event
on window object which are able to catch the event.
For all windows objet you can decide if it is sensible
or not. In the same way, you decide if you window is
modal or not.
For all objet there is a special callback list.
Example : If an objet become sensible the sensible
callback is executed. If a window become modal ...

> Internally, C++ callbacks could be used, for example
> for the default
> controls. When writing the GUI in python, we can
> easily use python
> methods as callbacks instead. All that functionality
> is in the code
> already.
I think i need take a look at the event_list to
understand what you mean.
I think you mean window objet must inherite from
event_list to register more easily python callback.
So if you mean this, there are no problem.

> When it comes to modal or transient windows, we can
> easily disable
> keybord input for a widget or window by calling the
> event_list::pause
> method, or enable input by calling
> event_list::resume. So this aspect of
> input focus handling is really simple, and already
> in the code as well.
>
> I'm not sure whether there are other problems.
> Perhaps I should have a
> look at the new input system first. Still, I think
> it would make sense
> to integrate input and event system. Especially as
> it would allow us to
> make the player schedule event-driven as well.
>
> Any opinions? Alex? Joel?

> Kai

Jol
++