Re: [Adonthell-devel] compiling v0.4 on OS X

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] compiling v0.4 on OS X
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:26:36 +0200

Am Dienstag, 22.07.03 um 11:17 Uhr schrieb Alexandre Courbot:

Ah, right. Actually - have you noticed? It tries to load a .a library (a static one!) while it shoud load a .so. Can you look into src/gfx/.libs/
whether there is a sdl.so file?

Nope, there's none. (Although on OS X it would be called sdl.dylib).

If it doesn't, we just need to ask libtool to
make shared libraries. Shouldn't be a big deal. Unless your compilation
toolchain doesn't support shared libs? Can you check whether the binaries are
shared with ldd?

No ldd on OS X, sorry. With libtool 1.5, shared libraries should be no problem. At least that is what the libtool manual says.

There are some issues with libtool left. That does not break the
compilation, but it might have caused the trouble with the libraries. I
will investigate this further today.

Can you elaborate on these issues? They might be linked.

Apart from a few bugs in libtool 1.5 (SED, EGREP and max_cmd_len undefined) there is an issue with linking in some libraries. I.e. they only exist as static version, which leads to the following message:

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lpython2.2. *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libpython2.2 and none of the candidates passed a file format test *** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.a

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module _gfx.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

Other such libs are libstdc++ and libSDLmain. For some reason, there are no dynamic versions of those.

Maybe something can be done with the -dlopen flag. I tried adding this to the inputtest target, but on compilation I got:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link g++ -g -Wall -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -I../src/ -o inputtest inputtest.o -dlopen -L../src/gfx/ -ladonthell_gfx -L../src/input/ -ladonthell_input -lz libtool: link: warning: `AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN' not used. Assuming no dlopen support.

Maybe you can make something of this. I'll be out shopping now, but I'll do some tests myself in the afternoon.