Re: [Adonthell-devel] on test scripts

From: Kenneth Gangstø
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] on test scripts
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:13:44 +0200

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:43:09 +0200, <address@hidden> wrote:

Yesterday I have started getting the old item test scripts working with the v0.4 item code.

Unlike the previous tests, these require a couple of extra scripts (the various item templates), so I decided to add a 'data' directory to the test folder. In there, we can store the data required by various tests.

That also gave me another idea. At present, all my test scripts generate more or less meaningful output on the console. To check whether everything is still working after a change to the engine, one has to run all scripts and scan the output for errors. That's not very nice at best, and it's easy to miss subtle errors . So I'll write a little test script that catches all output and makes a diff to a previously stored reference output. That way, we could test the engine more systematically, thus finding bugs that might be introduced by changes to existing code.

This sounds alot like Unit Testing from XP programming.
Check out http://cppunit.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi or alot of sites
out there describing unit testing.

- Kenneth