Re: [Adonthell-devel] Map Editor

From: ksterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Map Editor
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:55:56 +0200

Hi Ingo!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, but I'm a little busy these days. Even
worse, the AC adapter of my iBook broke and I have to get a replacement first
:(.

> havn't followed the current development much, however I was wondering
> if there is still a need for a map editor, if I remember right there
> wasn't one in the 0.3 development. Anyway, I have written a rather
> generic editor which is fully scriptable and relativly easy to fit
> into most tile-based games:

Alex should be the one to decide whether it would be useful or not. The problem
I see is that v0.3 isn't truly tilebased (movement and collision detection
was), whereas the gfx could be of arbitrary size.

With the forthcoming engine, it'll be even lesss tilebased, I think. (Alex!?)

>  * http://flexlay.berlios.de/
>
> It has still a bunch of rough edges and some missing features, however
> if there is interest I could try my like and add support for Adonthell
> to it. Any interested in that?

Given that v0.4 will be much different from v0.3, its not really worth the
trouble to add support for the old version. The really interesting stuff like
items and combat will never make it into v0.3, so I imagine that it would be of
little interest to the community.

As for v0.4, Alex should know better than I. I'm not even sure how far the new
map engine is. Last I've heard was that there were problems writing a map
editor using PyQT, as the Python wrappers for QT weren't compatible with our
SWIG generated wrappers.

Anyway, thanks for the offer. Would be nice if it could save us some work.