Re: [Adonthell-devel] TTF support for v0.3 on the way

From: ksterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] TTF support for v0.3 on the way
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:32:28 +0200

Von: address@hidden

> I've decided to
> implement TTF support myself. Started yesterday and am halfway
> done :-).

It's finally done, after a lengthy struggle to make the label class aware of
utf-8. Unfortunately, I won't be able to commit before monday.

With the proper font, should now be able to display any text in utf-8 format.
Input is a different matter though. While I could enter Latin-1 characters such
as 'ä', 'é' and 'ß', a completely different input method (like korean) didn't
work. That might be an issue of SDL not supporting any alternative input
methods. Anyway, it's not that important ...

> Remains the question which font to use at all. Are there free,
> fancy fonts that contain a large enough subset of unicode to work
> for all translation we'll ever have?

Due to the small size of our text (12 pt), a fancy font (like the one I used
for testing) isn't really much more readable than the old font. So I suggest
that we use a fairly plain font. FreeSerif [1] appears to be a good choice, as
it is (a) available under GPL and (b) seems to contain plenty of glyphs.

Anyway, I'll still add a config option to select a custom font, so you can
change to something more fancy if you like.

Kai

[1] http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/index.html