Re: [Adonthell-devel] Graphics update

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Graphics update
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:46:38 -0500

Hello, Alex's ghost!

I've been hoping you'd rematerialize.

Andrew

On 5/23/06, Alexandre Courbot <address@hidden> wrote:
> In general I modeled it after the code that was in 0.3, however I made one
> significant change.  In 0.3, movement was isolated to tiles, so if you move
> a direction you move the complete tile  You cannot stop in the middle or
> change direction.  I thought 0.4 was supposed to have pixel perfect
> movement.  (So you can move X pixels up and then move right even though you
> are in between two tiles).  But looking at the documentation now, I'm not
> sure where I got that idea from.  The question I have is, should I revert
> back to the (slightly simpler) 0.3 implementation?

Boo, boo, I'm Alex' ghost...

Speaking about this, you might want to have a look at the work I did
some years ago (before falling into the dark side). In the
adonthell-0.3 module, there is a branch called "Road_to_0_4" or
something like this. Inside this branch there is a "lmap" module which
starts implementing a map engine similar to what you've described. I
even submitted a couple of Python demos on the list at that time - you
had a little character ripped off a famous SNES video game running,
jumping and climbing on things. As far as I remember, I wasn't too
unhappy with it.

Off topic: now I'm writing my PhD document. I should see the end of
the tunnel in a couple of months. Maybe I'll be able to be active on
the project again? (I really need some good old C++ development...)

Alex.