Re: [Adonthell-devel] Animation question

From: Tyler Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Animation question
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:05:27 -0600

On 9/29/06, Alexandre Courbot <address@hidden> wrote:
> > In the class I wrote, the
> > movement is carried around with the animation.  In the road_to_0.4, it is
> > handled externally.  I can see advantages to both.  With it carried around
> > with the animation data, you can specify variable pixel movement per frame.
> > With it outside it is more abstracted, and more compatible with road_to_0.4
> > code.  Anyone have any opinions on this?  I'd rather make any fixes now than
> > later.
>
> Maybe Alex should comment on this, but I believe that road_to_0.4
> allowed to keep the movement seperate from the animation. That seems
> to make sense for 2 reasons:
> - not all animations will actually move.
> - the same animation could move with different velocity (one NPC might
> walk faster than the other)

The way I see it, animations (gfx data) and animators (describing a
position in an animation) should remain separated. The reason is
simple: to avoid having x copies of the same gfx when there are x
characters with the same shape on the screen (that was the case in 0.3
- and its not good). I think the code in road_to_0-4 makes a good
basis, but of course there is still room for improvements and your
enhancements are welcome.

Alex.