Re: [Adonthell-devel] networking, multiplayer, etc

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] networking, multiplayer, etc
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:58:21 +0200

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Chris Frey <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Chris,

thanks for the compliments!

> I was curious whether there are plans to make the Adonthell engine suitable
> for networked multiplayer RPGs, or whether it is focused on man vs. computer?

No such plans so far. Focus is on plot and storytelling, so
(massively) multiplayer is nothing we'd think about.

There had been thoughts about cooperative multiplayer, but its not a
big priority for now. We're also not quite sure how well this would
really work with a plot-driven story (or how to make a story both
appealing to single- and multiplayers).

> P.S.  I am a C++ programmer, but due to the size of the code, I'm sure it
>        will be a while before I'm able to contribute anything.

You've probably seen the resources that should help ease getting
familiar with stuff a little bit:

* http://adonthell.berlios.de/api/
* http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Architecture:Contents
* http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:Getting_Started

Even then there are a lot of questions that remain unanswered. Maybe
the example and test scripts can then be of further help:

* http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/adonthell/test/?root=adonthell

And finally there's also #adonthell on irc.freenode.net to have
specific questions answered (although you might have to wait a while
for somebody to be around). Or just post to the list if you don't mind
a somewhat slower form of communication.