[Adonthell-devel] Re: Status update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Status update
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 16:08:43 +0200

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Kai Sterker<address@hidden> wrote:

> I've comitted an update to mapedit, which nearly has adding new
> objects to the map. Objects not yet on the map are shown in the entity
> list with a blue-ish background and selecting them brings up the
> dialog that will allow to add them to the map. The logic for that is
> not yet done, however.

It's done and committed. Could have been faster, but a nasty bug
delayed things a few days.

That means, you can now drop new models into test/data/models and
they'll show up in the entity list. Selecting them brings up the
entity dialog where you can chose object and entity type and assign an
id. Once you hit OK, the entity is added to the map and you're ready
to place it.

That makes mapedit v0.1 nearly usable and feature complete in my eyes.
What's missing should be minor and added fairly quickly.

* Placing shared/unique objects a second time on the map should bring
up the entity dialog to create a new instance of the entity with a new
id.
* Controls to influence the grid (toggle on/off, specify offset and size).

I'd also like to select the corresponding entity in the list when
picking an object directly from the map. But since there isn't a real
benefit in that right now, it can be postponed. Same goes for
filtering by tags (or object type). Although both would probably be
canditates for v0.2.

That means an actual usable mapeditor release (with binaries for OSX
and Win32) draws nearer. Hope there'll be some use for it by then :-).