Re: [Adonthell-devel] Pathfinding costs and character speed from a game

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Pathfinding costs and character speed from a gameplay perspective
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:12:56 +0200

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Andrew Phillips<address@hidden> wrote:

> I think adding a Trekking skill would be fun and useful if it granted
> greater speed and range of movement. It should probably be available, by
> race, to Elves and Half-Elves at first level, as well as to Forestkeepers or
> similiar classes, including frequent wanderers like the Free Lancers, of the
> other races.

Movement speed seems to be a fairly critical issue to most players.
Personally, I'd always chose the fasted movement possible (and on top
of my head, I only remember one example where permanent running was
not possible as it drained your stamina or something). So I guess
trekking would have to be balanced such that at early ranks (1 to 2 or
3) it completely mitigates terrain-based speed penalties and will
actually grant faster than normal movement at ranks 3 or 4 to 5.

The reason I'm stil in favour of such a system (and risk people
complaining that movement in water or forest is too slow) is that it
integrates the world more into gameplay. So it's not just a pretty
canvas over which you walk, but you'd actually have to pay a little
attention where you go as some places might clearly put you at a
disadvantage, e.g. when running from a strong opponent.

> I agree that the speed (base value + skill modifiers + ability modifiers),
> should be handled on the Python side. Otherwise, the specifics of our magic
> system - haste spell, potion of speed, songs of the birds - would have to be
> written into the engine. This flies in the face our design goals - our game
> running atop a reuseable CRPG engine.

My thoughts exactly.

Kai

P.S: Trekking skill added to
http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Rules:Stats#Skills

Also came up with a (debatable) categorization of skills:

* Social Skills: Charm, Diplomacy, Drinking, Entertain, Haggle
* Rogue Skills: Disarm Traps, Luck, Open Locks, Pick Pockets, Spot
* Nature Skills: Body Control, Climb, Herb Lore, Identify Items, Trekking

Not sure, however, if it's of any relevance other than pleasing my own
twisted sense of order ;-).

Oh, and anyone willing to draw some icons for those skills?