Re: [Adonthell-devel] Dragon Age

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Dragon Age
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:57:50 -0600

Any of the factional membership tests/quests could be viewed in this way, when the player's stats and skills are taken into account.

Each quest group is three-fold. A triple failure would mean that the faction denies the player membership. A triple success would mean the faction welcomes the player eagerly. A 1-2 or 2-1 success ratio, with the right stats and skills, could result in a grudging sort of acceptance and less exciting quest rewards (items, experience, training)

2009/11/29 Kai Sterker <address@hidden>
On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

> I like this idea as well. We've designed DB so far with Pass/Fail quests.
> Most other games are this way as well. Life is rarely resolved so
> decisively. I'll think about how to partially win (or lose) some of the
> quests we've designed.

That would be great. I guess there are a few good candidates already.
(Possible spoilers below):

* The test in "The Path to The Door"
* Liberating the Yetin monastery and saving Abbot Tham (or not)
* The confrontation with Alek, which can already be influenced by
collecting some of the Enders tokens and will allow the player to
continue even when losing the battle.

We just really haven't laid down the consequences/rewards in detail.