[Adonthell-devel] Re: Code improvements and next steps ...

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Code improvements and next steps ...
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:31:53 +0200

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Anyway, enough talk, time to start coding ...

Well, first untested code committed (unit tests are difficult to
create in that case, as a lot of the actual logic is deep inside the
python wrappers). In theory, it should now be possible to load
location based object interactions stored in the map file. I could
manually add something and write a little script to try it out, but I
think I'll skip that and start work on the map editor interface
instead.

I am also rethinking entity-based interactions a bit. First of all, a
lot of objects like doors and buttons and such will have to be unique
entities anyway (as they will have a instance specific state). So in
that case it doesn't matter if the script is assigned to the entity or
the location, it needs to be set per instance anyway. Second, entities
are contained implicitly in the map data file, so it's hard to attach
an action to a specific entity without bigger changes to the file
structure. Finally, I don't think we want to go the route of allowing
interactions with generic scenery objects anyway. What we had in v0.3
was quite specific, and I'd assume it will stay that way.

Comments as usual welcome!