Re: [Adonthell-devel] Adonthell Wiki needs a new home

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Adonthell Wiki needs a new home
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 20:09:32 +0200

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 6:17 PM, James Nash <address@hidden> wrote:

> I run my own web-server at home (it hosts a few small sites like my personal
> one http://cirrus.twiddles.com/) and would be happy to host our wiki.
> Obviously I can't provide the same level of service as a properly managed
> web-host, but I've been doing it for several years and haven't had any major
> outages or problems so far.
>
> It has Apache, PHP, Perl, MySQL, PostgreSQL and can install whatever else we
> might need. I don't currently provide FTP access, but SSH (which includes
> SCP & SFTP) is available.
>
> Unless we start getting large volumes of traffic (and thus slowing down my
> home internet access) it should be OK.

That ought to work. We'll have to see how much traffic there really is
(quite a few bots around that try to insert spam), but regular traffic
shouldn't be much. The pages are mostly text and a few small images.

Once installed, there isn't that much maintenance required: update of
the wiki software once or twice a year, and an occasional dump of the
DB and upload directory for backup purposes (no need for that unless
there is some activity and content actually changes).

In any case, I guess I will start by grabbing the latest stuff from
berlios, then setting it up locally, to verify that it works. Possibly
change the online version to readonly. Then whenever you have some
time, we can install mediawiki on your box and import things.

Sounds like a plan?

Btw., what versions of PHP and MySQL are you running? Then I can try
to match those locally to ensure everything will go smooth.