Re: [Adonthell-devel] For information: Compiling issues

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] For information: Compiling issues
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:51:05 +0100

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Kess Vargavind <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Kess!

> It was some time since I last compiled Adonthell, so I decided to test
> both automake and CMake.
> Tested everything from scratch and updated to latest packages in
> debian testing (some may be from unstable).

Thanks for the report. CMake build should detect SWIG >= 2.0 now.

As for the gtest/gmock configure (and CMake) test, the story goes like this:

Josh submitted patches for gtest and gmock that would have added a
pkg-config file and wrote the configure code in anticipation that
those patches would be accespted. They weren't:

http://groups.google.com/group/googletestframework/browse_thread/thread/49a10a713d016128/46403df7b77e89b5?lnk=gst&q=josh+glover#46403df7b77e89b5

In fact they seem to suggest that projects include gtest/gmock source
with their project and compile them using the same compiler flags used
to compile the project itself:

https://groups.google.com/group/googletestframework/browse_thread/thread/668eff1cebf5309d

Personally, I find this somewhat ridiculous.

I'm not sure if Josh's patches are still online and whether they'd
still apply cleanly against newer versions of gtest/gmock, but here
would be the directions to follow:

http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:Compiling#Building_dependencies

But in general, I guess the tests are not that important to
non-developers to go that extra mile. Writing some of them helped
track down issues with the code, but there aren't very many to begin
with. In the current state they aren't very useful to find
regressions, as the area of code they cover is so small.