ant-phone-devel

Re: [Ant-phone-devel] latency

From: Roland Stigge
Subject: Re: [Ant-phone-devel] latency
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:37:15 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 13:19, Matthias Thomae wrote:
> At first, I couldn't get the debian package working, getting a
> segmentation fault just after reading /var/lib/isdn/calls. Moving that
> file away helped.

It would be interesting to reproduce this. Please provide a part of your
file which reproduces this. (Maybe privately.) Does this occur with new
generated data in this file?

> By the way, I also noticed that ant-phone was looking
> for some isdn.conf file in /home/ernie.

It seems that some debug code found its way into the release. This will
be fixed in the next release.

> Before I start doing more tests, I'd like to know if there are ideas
> around to the cause (and solutions) of these delays. I could think of:
>
> - the relatively slow cpu
> - the bluetooth connection, however pings are in the range of 50 ms
> - the sound driver
> - the soundcard itself

Mainly the latter two, I guess. Some drivers don't support short enough
"fragment sizes" in the OSS input/output buffers, at least some users
reported similar problems with special configurations. And ANT is still
not really real time capable. Now that my exams are done, I should have
more time to dive into this.

Do you observe similar problems with another machine (preferable
"classic" desktop hardware) with another sound device model?

Thanks for the report.

bye,
  Roland