Learn from the Users Misspelling

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Learn from the Users Misspelling
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 02:24:33 -0500

JAmes Atwill wrote:

> Hi,  I've been playing a bit with aspell, and looking at other spell
> checkers, and a feature that'd be fairly easy to implement, and useful
> too, is the checkers ability to learn commonly made typos by the user. If
> I type "fotz" when I meant to type "hello", and I tell aspell that I've
> replaced the noted typo of "fotz" with "hello", next time it sees "fotz",
> it could suggest "hello".

After thinking about it a while I came up with an even better and more
general way of implanting this.  Have the misspelled word become part of
the word lists, that is have the misspelled word indexed and scored as
if it was a correctly spelled word, and then at the last minute replace
that word with the correctly spelled word.

For example if "fotz" was marked as being the misspelling for "hello"
than
"fotz" would come up with:
 hello
 foot