Re: Getting started

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: Getting started
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:34:51 -0400

gavin hurley wrote:

> > Part of the problem is that the C++ library is still in a state of
> > flux.  Once I am happy with the interface I will then concentrate on
> > better documentation.  Write now aspell.cc is the best example.
> >

> Wow. Thanks for the quick response. That's cool. I can wait. Do you have any
> idea roughly how long that might be though? I'd love to get cracking on this
> stuff.

Well I probably have about a week (40 hours) of work to do with the
library.  However I don't have that much time to put into it will school
work and all.  I hope to have something out in a couple of months.  You
are free to use the  C++ library but you will probably have to change
your code a bit after every Aspell release until the library
stabilizes.  aspell.cc should be fairly easy to follow.

> PS - in Gaspell it looks like you use something called a DICT server. What
> are these? Are the definitions on there public domain? Can you use the
> servers royalty free (like the CDDB) Can they be downloaded as a file? One
> of my ultimate goals is to write a text editor that does inline spell
> checking and can look up definitions.

Go to www.dict.org.  The server is GPL.  The databases it uses are under
various copyrights.  The WordNet database is almost public domain: You
can do whatever you want with but they still want credit for there work.

--
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden