Re: [aspell] Announce: Aspell .30

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] Announce: Aspell .30
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:55:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson proclaimed:
> > Aspell Version .30 is now avialbe at http://aspell.sourceforge.net/
>
> I am in the process of packaging it for Debian unstable (aka "woody").  I
> have a few questions:

> > This version requires Pspell to also be installed.  You can get pspell
> > from http://pspell.sourceforge.net/.
>
> I used to break aspell into sub-packages and upload them for Debian.  The
> sub-packages I used to have up to version 0.29.1 were:

> What do I do now that pspell is here.  Here are the packages that I thought
> of building:
>
> * libpspell
> * libpspell-dev

That sounds good.

Be sure to stick the pspell aspell module library somewhere.....

> I ship my Debian package with a man page.  I noticed that my man page is
> woefully out of date.  While updating I saw that the usage documentation in
> the various formats are written in a language that is not easily
> understandable.

Could you elaborate.

> Kevin,  if the command line options are decently baked at this point, I
> could try rewriting the usage documentation.

I don't plan on changing them but no promises.

Please do. However, if your rewrite has any formatting please either use
LyX or edit the TeX source trying to use the same formatting commands I
use throughout the document so I can easily reLyX it. If you don't use
any major formatting just send me the text and I will paste it in.

> Also, are we working with ispell developers on the pspell front?  If that
> is the plan, I will start contacting the Debian packagers of ispell and
> start formulating a plan.

I really don't know.  I would like to get an ispell module out one way or
another.  I can either create an ispell module via the pipe interface
(easier, will always use the latest version of ispell, but more pragmatic)
or one directory with the ispell source (difficult as the source code is a
mess).  I am hoping someone else will but no one has offered to yet.  I
have not directly contacted the ispell authors though....

---
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/