Re: [aspell] Announce: Aspell .30

From: Sudhakar Chandrasekharan
Subject: Re: [aspell] Announce: Aspell .30
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 18:22:09 -0700

Kevin Atkinson proclaimed:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> >  While updating I saw that the usage documentation in
> > the various formats are written in a language that is not easily
> > understandable.
> Could you elaborate.

>From the "usage" section in the docs:

   --home-dir=«dir»
          location for personal files

   -W,--ignore=«integer»
          ignore words <= n chars

   --add|rem-email-quote=«char»
          email quote characters

   --email-margin=«integer»
          num chars that can appear before the quote char

etc.

A non-technical user trying to spell check a simple document will see the
above tucked away in the documentation (I base my aspell man page on this
section of the documentation).  And much of this is difficult to understand
just by glancing at the usage section.  Even for me, a person who has an
education in works in the software industry.

IMO, a user is most interested in using aspell first.  Only after frequent
usage does a user bother to read up further on the software (like
customization, internals etc.).

> > Kevin,  if the command line options are decently baked at this point, I
> > could try rewriting the usage documentation.
> I don't plan on changing them but no promises.
>
> Please do. However, if your rewrite has any formatting please either use
> LyX or edit the TeX source trying to use the same formatting commands I
> use throughout the document so I can easily reLyX it.

I am planning to use LyX.  I will send you patches as and when I have them
ready.

S.
--
Lisa:  "Dad. You killed the zombie Flanders."
Homer: "He was a Zombie?"