[aspell-user] aspell problems

From: Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Subject: [aspell-user] aspell problems
Date: 23 Apr 2001 16:13:40 -0400

After working around a bug in the pspell build process (which wouldn't
search the correct paths for libraries it built, and thus would fail
when trying to link with them - adding the path of these to the CFLAGS
works), I finally got to try aspell 0.33.5

A couple of problems:

1) If the user has an existing aspell configuration, specifying language,
   the build could fail: I had specified "american" as the language and
   removed the previous aspell installation (as I've known the aspell
   build process not to be clean before - it would happily link new
   binaries with the old libraries). When aspell was run during the
   build process to create these dictionaries, it failed - complaining
   that the "american" file couldn't be found. IMHO, aspell shouldn't
   look for external info during build.

2) --lang doesn't seem to work. I have LANG=no_NO set, and
   "aspell --lang=american -c brit.txt" uses the Norwegian dictionary.
   Using the environment variable is nice, but command line options
   or configuration files should take precedence (I just tried the
   configuration file now, with the same results)

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.