[Aspell-user] Spell-checking accented texts

From: DOLCINI Pietro
Subject: [Aspell-user] Spell-checking accented texts
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 08:00:52 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently writing my final project report in french using Latex under Linux
Red Hat 9.0.
I've uninstalled the old aspell 0.3 installed by deafault and intallled Aspell
0.50.3.

When I try to use it from within VIM all the accented characters (usually
normally diplayed in the shell) are changed to small squares, making it
impossible to continue checking. The same happens when I use aspell from the
command line.

If I use the encoding option --encoding=iso8859-1 problems are not resolved,
I've tried to change the encoding using KDE KWrite but without appreciable
results (actually I managed to stop LaTeX from recognising accented letters too
;-) )

Since the french dictionary is available the problem should be easy one but I'm
rather short of ideas (recompiling xterm to support utf8 would help?)

Thanks
Pietro