[Aspell-user] Intro, install problem on OSX

From: Clytie Siddall
Subject: [Aspell-user] Intro, install problem on OSX
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:26:10 +0930

Hi everybody  :)

I'm voluntarily localizing files in Vietnamese, so I was delighted to find yesterday that Aspell had a Vietamese dictionary. (I'm also looking at localizing Aspell itself in my language, but that's another matter.) It'll catch some of my typos (I hope).

So I rushed off to grab it, but tripped up over something I don't quite understand. I downloaded the aspell-0.60.2 release, unpacked it, then, following the install instructions, got the following result:

Pearl:/ clytie$ cd Applications/linguistic/aspell-0.60.2/
Pearl:/Applications/linguistic/aspell-0.60.2 clytie$ ./configure && make
configure: error: cannot find sources (prog/aspell.cpp) in . or ..

I tried moving the aspell folder to the root level, tried the command with sudo, tried configure on its own, same result every time. :(

Could some kind person advise me on what I should do? I have also downloaded the Vietnamese dictionary for Aspell, but haven't got as far as installing that as well. I'd really like to get this working.

I'm on a G3 iBook, the "dual USB" model, 640 Mb RAM (full), running OSX 10.3.7, all updates current. I have the developer tools installed, and have successfully built and installed other Unix tools before. I have fink up to date. Hmm, why didn't I do it thorugh fink...?

<pause to check>

Hmm, fink is only listing aspell 50.13, and no Vietnamese dictionary, but that's not a hassle, because I've got that separately. I'm trying a binary install...

That seemed to work. How do I update my install to the current version? It does seem that Fink is a fair way behind on that. Also, how do I install my dictionary? I'll go read the manual, too, but I don't know if that will answer both of those, but particularly the first one.

Thankyou very much for any advice on this. I'd still like to know why my original install failed, and if that means I need to change anything now.

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc