Re: [Aspell-user] Reg. performance of suggestions

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Reg. performance of suggestions
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:37:49 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Ananda Kumar C wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your input. The performance has grown now, but I have an
> interesting observation.
> I had run my tests against both the 0.60.3 and 0.60.2 versions. My test
> program randomly picks up a word from a really huge list of words (around
> 1.2 M words) and tests the words for correct spelling.
> If a word is misspelt, I get the suggestions. The sug-mode config is now
> set to ultra.I run this test until I get around 500 misspelt words.
>
> The results are as follows :
> +--------------------------+-----------------+------------------+
> |                          | ver. 0.60.3     | ver. 0.60.2      |
> +--------------------------+-----------------+------------------+
> |Avg. time for checking    |    17 microsecs |    6 microsecs   |
> |Avg. time for suggesting  |  2087 microsecs | 1029 microsecs   |
> +--------------------------+-----------------+------------------+
>
> Although the performance has come up really good, what do you think is
> the reason why 0.60.3 doesnt perform better than the previous version?
> Also, the package for 0.60.3 is not available in FreeBSD ports. Any ideas
> on when it will be up there?

Make sure that the two versions of Aspell are compiled in the exact same
fashion.  Also make sure they are using the exact same dictionaries.

If you are still seeing a performance regression please send me the details
of your testing environment as well as the word list you are using.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org