[Aspell-user] spellchecking words with numbers

From: Miles Waller
Subject: [Aspell-user] spellchecking words with numbers
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:07:28 +0000

Hi,

I am using aspell to as part of a website search engine, to provide a 'did you mean' type function: user input is checked against a dictionary of words on the site, and if any are indicated as misspelt, the user is offered a suggestion.

Some of the terms entered are medical, in particular drug names and references (e.g. interleukin1, her2) which I would like to add to my personal word list so they can be used as suggestions. The overall intent of the feature is to make it easier for non-medical users to search, without them needing to type and spell long medical terms correctly.

A particular problem is that if I ask aspell whether the word 'her2' is correctly spelt, it tells me it isn't, and suggests that i meant 'herd'!

The numbers are not always at the end, sometimes in the middle e.g. interleukin1beta.

I understand from the docs that aspell ignores numbers when spell checking.

My questions are:

- is there any way to add words with numbers into a personal dictionary so that they can be used as suggestions (i am assuming not, but confirmation from someone more familiar with aspell than me would be useful!)

 - has anyone else dealt with anything similar and what did worked well?

Thanks for any assistance!

Miles