[Aspell-user] How to get Aspell to not suggest profanities

From: Skalk van der Merwe
Subject: [Aspell-user] How to get Aspell to not suggest profanities
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 10:47:26 +1200

Dear All

Here at VUW we make use of the Aspell software to provide spelling corrections
/ suggestions for the Library Catalogue.
http://victoria.lconz.ac.nz/

Sometime when users search for a legitimate word Aspell would suggest a
profanity.

For example Cnut (England's Viking king) ; 'hispan? cuentes' and 'FCUK' all
produced some profanities in our implementation of Aspell.

In the past I just added the word that produced the profanity to custom
dictionary. Aspell would of course now see these words as legitimate and not
suggest a profanity. To do this effectively I need to know what words are
likely to produce profanities, which in the long run is not a good proposition.

So, is there a switch that one could use to turn of the profanities?

Kind regards,

Skalk

Skalk van der Merwe
Systems Support Librarian