Re: [Aspell-user] English Dictionary Install Problem

From: Zhu, Harry
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] English Dictionary Install Problem
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 16:33:58 +0000

Hi Kevin,

On Jan 29, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Kevin Atkinson
<address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017, Zhu, Harry wrote:

Hi Kevin,

On Jan 29, 2017, at 10:14 AM, Kevin Atkinson
<address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

Hi,

On 01/29/2017 09:42 AM, Zhu, Harry wrote:

My OS: Mac Sierra
Install file: aspell6-en-2017.01.22-0.tar.bz2
Problem: ./config trying to locate files in /usr/bin and /usr/lib, but my files
are in /usr/local/bin (and lib)

The 2007-01-22 English dictionary tar file’s ./configure command outputs this:

Finding Dictionary file location ... /usr/lib/aspell-0.60
Finding Data file location ... /usr/lib/aspell-0.60

When I run make, I get the following error:
/usr/local/bin/prezip-bin -d < en-common.cwl | /usr/local/bin/aspell  --lang=en
create master ./en-common.rws
Error: The file "/usr/lib/aspell-0.60/iso-8859-1.cset" can not be opened for
reading.
make: *** [en-common.rws] Error 1

It looks like Aspell is somehow misconfiguration.  What is the output of
"/usr/local/bin/aspell dump config"?

Kevin

[Not sure I am using the mailing list correctly, i.e., if a thread will be
created and archived when I hit reply in my email client…If not, please kindly
let me know and I will repost the dump so it gets archived and shared with the
community. ]

You are using it just fine, just be sure address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>
is always in the CC field.

The dump is shown below. I see that my /usr/local is directory is not in the
dump. Help of correcting the problem is greatly appreciated.

It looks like Aspell was compiled with a prefix of "/usr" and then moved into
"/usr/local".  If you compiled it yourself then the best bet it to recompile it.

If recompiling is not an option then you will need to somehow set the "prefix"
option to "/usr/local".  The best way to test this is to set the ASPELL_CONF
environmental variable to "prefix /usr/local".  On GNU Linux/bash I will do
that with
 export ASPELL_CONFIG="prefix /usr/local"
and would possible add the line to the ~/.bashrc file. For the Mac Sierra I am
not sure of the correct procedure to set an environmental variable.

Kevin

Thanks for your help! I recompiled/installed aspell and the the problem is
solved.
I document my steps here, in case it is useful to other Mac OS Sierra users:

To install aspell
Step 1:
./configure --disable-static  --prefix=/usr/local
Note the prefix option must be there

Step 2: To avoid errors in make, edit interfaces/cc/aspell.h to surround the
error block starting line 237:
#ifndef __cplusplus
extern const struct AspellErrorInfo * const aerror_other;
...snip...
extern const struct AspellErrorInfo * const aerror_invalid_expression;
#endif

See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25395685/aspell-wont-build-on-os-x-10-9-mavericks

Step 3:
make

Step 4:
sudo make install

Then, install the English dictionary.
./configure
make
sudo make install

To use aspell in Emacs, make sure your .emacs file contains this line:
(setq ispell-program-name "/usr/local/bin/aspell”)

Thanks again, Kevin!
- Harry