Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [problems with TeX-arg-ref] (was: patch for exam clas

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] [problems with TeX-arg-ref] (was: patch for exam class)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 18:25:05 +0100

Hi Uwe,

>    > Please don't use `reftex-label'.  Non Reftex-user will get an error.
>    > `TeX-arg-ref' does the right thing here.
>
> I have not used TeX-arg-ref for ages. Three observations:
>
>     -  when it is used (in the environment as defined my exam.el) first
>        a minipage pops up then the windows is split and a lot of
>        possible labels are offered, however in my case the window with
>        the list of possible labels was too small for my screen, but I
>        could not scroll down, neither with the keys nor with the mouse,
>        so this seems a BUG. Then the first entry is [] saying any so I
>        presumed, space or enter would do something useful it does not
>        but gives the following error: ery-label-type: No such label
>        type: ^M

Could you please provide a reproducible recipe?

>     -  frankly this sucks, I don't see any benefit from that function:
>        couldn't we reftex make mandatory for auctex?

No.  You have good forecasting abilities ;-)

>     -  since I presume the answer will be *no*, what's about the
>        following solution for the exam.el style file
>
> (defvar exam-use-reftex nil
>   "Variable which controls whether to use `reftex-label' or `TeX-arg-ref'.
> Default is to use `TeX-arg-literal'.")
>

> (if exam-use-reftex
>     (defalias 'TeX-arg-literal 'reftex-label))

`TeX-arg-ref' is overtaken by RefTeX, if present (or, to be more
precise, when `reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX' is non nil), so I miss the
point of your suggestion.  `TeX-arg-ref' is just a convenient function
that can be used in AUCTeX for both situations: RefTeX present or not.
In general, in AUCTeX we don't deal directly with RefTeX functions.

Bye,
Mosè