Re: Output to directory patch

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: Output to directory patch
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 12:27:02 +0100

Hi both of you
> Hi Al,

> The rule which preview-latex determines the location of relavant files
> is rather complicated and I don't understand comprehensively. I think it
> isn't centralized and I can only summarize the result here:

> 2. If preamble cache is enabled, pdf is generated in the master
>    directory. Then pdf2dsc succeeds, but subsequent gs cannot find
>    pdf file.

I think this is what most users do (at least I do that, but lately I
don't use preview latex that much, since it is not that suited for
beamer files)

> That seems reasonable idea.

> Well, didn't you examine \input rather than \include? As far as I can
> see, \include causes to generate aux file while \input does not. Please
> try example like these:
> ---- main.tex --------------------------------------------------------
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> main

> %\input{subdir/subfile}
> \include{subdir/subfile}
> \end{document}

> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% mode: latex
> %%% TeX-master: t
> %%% TeX-output-dir: "build"
> %%% End:
> ---- subdir/subfile.tex ----------------------------------------------
> dummy

> %%% Local Variables:
> %%% mode: latex
> %%% TeX-master: "../main"
> %%% TeX-output-dir: "build"
> %%% End:
> Type C-c C-c in the buffer of main.tex.

Interesting: I gave up include in favor of subfiles a long time ago.
I tried the same setting with subfiles (please find the directories in
tgz form attached) and did not encounter any problems.

Regards

Uwe