Re: [a new branch?]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [a new branch?]
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 10:11:09 +0100

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

   > Al Haji-Ali <abdo.haji.ali@gmail.com> writes:
   >>> Thanks, I've pushed it to a same-named branch on our repository so
   >>> Uwe and others can test-drive it more easily.  Feel free to ping me
   >>> when I should update it.
   >>
   >> Thank you for creating the branch.
   >> Do you prefer I ping you privately by email or in this list?

   > Just ping me on this list so that user's like Uwe see when an updated
   > version gets available.

   >>> It looks like you regularly rebase it onto master.  I like that but
   >>> I'm not sure what users like Uwe think.  If you "git pull" a rebased
   >>> branch (and you have no local changes), will that just work or do you
   >>> also need to "git reset --hard origin/branch"?
   >>>
   >> Indeed, one would have to run `git reset ...`.  I preferred to rebase
   >> so that it is easier for you as AUCTeX maintainers to merge changes
   >> and since no one was using my repo besides me.

   > Yes, I prefer this workflow, too.

I am confused,

If I pull do I have then to run

git reset --hard origin/branch

?

In my understanding git reset --hard is basically the same
as
hg strip -r commit

Why should I do that?

Wouldn't do a simple

git checkout remotes/origin/tex-build-only

the same?

I see it does not really

,----
| Note: checking out 'remotes/origin/tex-build-only'.
|
| You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
| changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
| state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
|
| If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
| do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:
|
|   git checkout -b <new-branch-name>
|
| HEAD is now at f1862ed... Simplified implementation and got rid of Emacs 25
features

`----

That is really confusing, there is a branch and I cannot check it out,
without getting a warning. [1]
I presume this is fine for compilation, but sigh, I think I stick with
hg and hg-git

Then a simple

hg up tex-build-only

Would do

Regards

Uwe

Footnotes:
[1]  I thought that would only happen, in git,  if I checkout a commit without
     creating a branch. These things do not happen in mercurial.