Re: support xr-hyper (xr) in auctex and reftex

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: support xr-hyper (xr) in auctex and reftex
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 13:57:26 +0200

Hi Uwe,

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Only by now I realised that xr-hyper allows me to set a (hyperref)
> reference to an external document.
> [...]
> To have a separate style for xr or xr-hyper seems a bit pathetic since
> it only would need
>
>   (TeX-add-symbols
>    '("externaldocument" [ "Option" ] "LaTeX Dokument" "PDF-document"))

\externaldocument provided by xr-hyper package takes these arguments:

    \externaldocument[prefix][nocite]{document}[URL]

So I think it could look like this in a style file:

    (TeX-add-symbols
     '("externaldocument"
       ["Prefix"]
       [TeX-arg-eval completing-read
                     (TeX-argument-prompt t nil "Cite option")
                     '("nocite")]
       "LaTeX document"
       ["Final document"]))

> However, it would be very helpful to have reftex support that.
> Right now reftex supports input, include and subfiles but not xr-hyper.

RefTeX supports xr package[1].  As long as you don't give the nocite
option, it should work fine.  I didn't test it with your files, but in
RefTeX's label selection menu, hit 'x'.  This is the description[2]:

    Reference a label from an external document.  With the LaTeX package
    xr it is possible to reference labels defined in another document.
    This key will switch to the label menu of an external document and
    let you select a label from there (see section xr).

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/reftex.html#SEC25

[2]  https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/reftex.html#SEC13