Supported Emacs versions by AUCTeX (was: Dependency on tex-buf.el)

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Supported Emacs versions by AUCTeX (was: Dependency on tex-buf.el)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 13:22:12 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, why not.  But how about applying Stefan's "cosmetic patch"
> (deleting the old advices and requiring nadvice instead)?  That won't
> make a difference for ELPA users but only for the tarball which will
> require Emacs 25.1 then.

I'm for stepping the required Emacs version to 25.1 now that we have
released 13.1 tarball.  I think we should also agree on some sort of
rule which Emacs versions AUCTeX is willing to support.  Other packages
do support the latest 3 versions (this is at least what I have in my
mind from Org).  Does something like this also make sense for AUCTeX?

At any rate, my vote is let's make an ELPA release, then go for 25.1 and
apply Stefan's change.  That would keep us from adding nadvice to
'Package-Requires:' cookie and a subsequent removal of it.

Best, Arash