Parsing of \renewcommand-ed macros

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Parsing of \renewcommand-ed macros
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:16:42 +0200

Hi all,

please consider this small example:

\documentclass{article}

\newcommand{\foo}[3]{code}
\renewcommand{\foo}[1]{code}

\begin{document}
Hit \verb|C-c C-n| and \verb|TeX-symbol-list| contains always
\verb|("foo" 3)|.
\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

You can re-parse the file with 'C-c C-n' and hitting 'C-c C-m foo RET'
always inserts braces for 3 arguments which means the \renewcommand part
isn't recognized.

IIUC AUCTeX doesn't have any provisions to parse \renewcommand-ed macros
in `LaTeX-auto-regexp-list' and subsequently in the function
`LaTeX-auto-cleanup'.  Before fiddling with the parser, I'd like to know
if I'm missing something.  Can others reproduce this?

TIA.  Best, Arash