Re: Showing compilation progress indicator

From: Al Haji-Ali
Subject: Re: Showing compilation progress indicator
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 21:41:55 +0100

Thanks Arash for the suggestions. I implemented all of them.

On 21/07/2022, Arash Esbati wrote:
> Can you provide a patch to AUCTeX with the changes you need in order to
> run your package standealone?
Actually, thinking more about it, I am able to achieve everything I want with
the advice system.
I updated procress to call custom local hooks. This could become part of AUCTeX
but it is not necessary for my case and might be reinventing the wheel.

All this functionality (and other) is implemented in Emacs' `compile` module.
AUCTeX seems to modify `compilation-in-progress` manually instead of calling
`compilation-start` as I believe is intended by the `compile` package. Other
features, like error extraction, is also replicated in AUCTeX instead of using
Emacs' `compile` implementation. I am not sure what the rational behind this is.

If AUCTeX is modified to use `compile` correctly, then I (and others) can
use/write packages for Emacs `compile` and AUCTeX would be automatically
supported.

This can be a big change to AUCTeX and the only purpose of it is to have a more
consistent Emacs experience, so I wonder if this would be something that the
AUCTeX community would consider/is interested in pursuing.

Best regards,
-- Al