Re: AUCTeX doesn't build with latest Emacs master

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: AUCTeX doesn't build with latest Emacs master
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 18:42:08 +0200

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

>>> Why are our rules so complicated?
>
>> That's the question :-)
>
> I guess that AUCTeX tries to take care of the case that
> --disable-preview option is given to configure script.  In that case,
> the current installation scheme doesn't generate preview-latex.el
> IIUC.

Yes, true, but is --disable-preview a sensible option?  I mean, nobody
forces a user to use preview even though it's installed.  If that option
is just there because in the old days chopping off a few kilobytes from
the installation was a worthwhile goal, then let's just remove it.

>> I think one problem is that loaddefs-generate doesn't care about
>> specific files but generates autoloads for all files in the given
>> directory.  So auto-loads.el will probably contain preview autoloads and
>> preview-latex.el will contain (la)tex autoloads.  loaddefs-generate has
>> an EXCLUDED-FILES argument, so that could be used to inhibit that.
>
>> But looking at the new loaddefs-gen.el, it seems that the preferred
>> recipe in the modern emacs world is just to do
>
>> emacs -f loaddefs-generate-batch auto-loads.el .
>
> How about specifying preview.el as EXCLUDED-FILES argument when
> --disable-preview is given?

I don't think we need to check that option: if we want to stick to the
current way, we need to add preview.el to EXCLUDED-FILES in the
auto-loads.el rule and AUCSCR in the preview-latex.el rule.  That would
probably work.

Or we try to change it to the more "normal" way of generating all
autoloads into a single file, no matter if preview or "rest of AUCTeX".
That's the way it's already done in the ELPA packages where the ELPA
machinery generates an auctex-autoloads.el file.

Bye,
Tassilo