Re: AUCTeX doesn't build with latest Emacs master

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: AUCTeX doesn't build with latest Emacs master
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 21:03:43 +0200

Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org> writes:

> Running make still doesn't ignore the files and `loaddefs-generate'
> rifles through all .el files.  What am I missing?

A bug in emacs, I think!  In loaddefs-generate, there's this code:

          (setq defs (nconc
                      (loaddefs-generate--parse-file
                       file output-file
                       ;; We only want the package name from the
                       ;; excluded files.
                       (and include-package-version
                            (if (member (expand-file-name file) excluded-files)
                                'only
                              t)))

I think the comment suggest that actually instead of expand-file-name,
file-name-nondirectory was intended to be used here.

Could you please report that?  I'm almost in my holidays.  You could as
well ask about the suggested upgrade path for packages that used the now
obsolete autoloads.el as we did.

BTW, another approach (for the future) could be this:

loaddefs-generate is a native-compiled Lisp function in ‘loaddefs-gen.el’.

(loaddefs-generate DIR OUTPUT-FILE &optional EXCLUDED-FILES EXTRA-DATA
INCLUDE-PACKAGE-VERSION GENERATE-FULL)

[...]  If any Lisp file binds ‘generated-autoload-file’ as a file-local
variable, write its autoloads into the specified file instead.

Bye,
Tassilo