Re: master 6b5f00bf: Unquote lambdas in font-latex.el & tex-bar.el; add

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: master 6b5f00bf: Unquote lambdas in font-latex.el & tex-bar.el; add some FIXMEs
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 12:56:21 +0200

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

>> Is anybody familiar with this code in order to pacify this?
>
>>   git grep LaTeX-symbols-active-menuitem
>
>> doesn't show anything useful.
>
> I think the piece of code which involves this variable is relevant only
> when the experimental feature symbol-toolbar:
> ,----
> | ;; Special requirements for the use of experimental symbol-toolbar:
> |
> | ;; -  Customize `TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons', adding the label
> | ;;    `LaTeX-symbols-experimental' at the end.
> |
> | ;; -  You should have a folder called "symb-pics" with the pics of the
> | ;;    symbols (xpm format is a good one), and the *parent* of this
> | ;;    folder should be in `load-path'.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | ;; You can get the symbol images on (temporary solution)
> | ;;    http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~frasson/symb-pics.tar.gz
> `----

Ah, I don't have such a symb-pics folder and probably that's the reason
why I do have a toolbar button where I can set the class of symbols to
be shown (like Greek Uppercase) but have no symbols of that class
displayed somewhere.

> Maybe the above tarball symb-pics.tar.gz might have included the
> supplementary elisp code to handle `LaTeX-symbols-active-menuitem',
> but it is no longer available at that URL.

Hm, too bad.

> Can/should we drop the code including `LaTeX-symbols-active-menuitem' as
> well as all the code after
> ;;; Experimental Symbol Toolbar
> in tex-bar.el, then?

Users might still have that set up locally.  I see no reason to break
it.

Bye,
Tassilo