Re: AUCTeX and in-buffer completion

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and in-buffer completion
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 15:42:18 +0900

Hi Arash,

> AUCTeX is known to do minibuffer query and completion when adding new
> macros or environments incl. arguments.  One thing missing is when one
> wants to add/change keyval or other elements to existing constructs in
> the buffer -- there is no in-buffer completion.

> There is also a git branch feature/capf with the latest version.

> Is it worth to integrate this into AUCTeX?  It will need some effort to
> adjust latex.el and the styles we have in order to make them work with
> the ideas here, so the question is, if this is a needed feature?

I tried the latest feature/capf branch for a while and it basically
works well. I think it's worth integrating into AUCTeX.

I'm aware of two issues currently.
1. It throws the following notifications repeatedly in the echo area
after I typed a character after parentheses like "()":
Company: An error occurred in auto-begin
Company: backend company-capf error "Scan error: "Unbalanced parentheses",
7426, 6790" with args (prefix)
2. It throws the following error after something like "\sqrt[3]". It
seems that it doesn't like string literal inside "[]" for TeX symbol
specifications.
Company: An error occurred in auto-begin
Company: backend company-capf error "Wrong type argument: symbolp, "Root"" with
args (prefix)

I hope these reports are helpful for you.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita