autoconf-archive-maintainers

Trouble building?

From: Dustin J. Mitchell
Subject: Trouble building?
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:44:48 -0600

Wow, a lot has happened on this project - kudos to everyone involved!

I've been reading flameeyes' Autotools Mythbuster, and noticed the
archive had a TODO to link to it, which I think is a great idea.  I
figured this would be an easy way to get back up to date on the
project.  But I encountered a few bumps.

First, my automake (1.10.2) doesn't support dist-xz.  This was
relatively easy to fix - I just removed that token from configure.ac.
Presumably that's in 1.11?

Second, and more confusingly, once I'd successfully run ./configure, a
make immediately failed:

Making all in doc
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/dustin/code/autoconf-archive/t/autoconf-archive/doc'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all-macros.texi', needed by
`autoconf-archive.info'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/dustin/code/autoconf-archive/t/autoconf-archive/doc'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Sure enough, doc/Makefile doesn't have a rule for that file.  I see
such a rule in cfg.mk, but that seems to be applied at the toplevel,
rather than in the subdirectory.  I see there's some trickery to add
rules to GNUMakefile, but I'm using GNU make (Gentoo Linux), and 'make
-f GNUMakefile' seems to fare no better.

Am I missing something?  If I can get this solved, I'll be happy to
update README-maint.

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer