autoconf-archive-maintainers

Re: Trouble building?

From: Peter Simons
Subject: Re: Trouble building?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:15:08 +0100

Hi Dustin,

 > First, my automake (1.10.2) doesn't support dist-xz. This was
 > relatively easy to fix - I just removed that token from configure.ac.
 > Presumably that's in 1.11?

yes, you are right. I updated the configure.ac script to declare the
fact that it depends on Automake 1.11 or later. It's somewhat
unfortunate that we require the very latest Automake version because of
dist-xz support, but the GNU people have specifically requested that we
support this format, and, indeed, xz compresses extremely well, so I
guess it makes sense to use it.

 > Second, and more confusingly, once I'd successfully run ./configure, a
 > make immediately failed:
 >
 > Making all in doc
 > make[1]: Entering directory
 > `/home/dustin/code/autoconf-archive/t/autoconf-archive/doc'
 > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `all-macros.texi', needed by
 > `autoconf-archive.info'.  Stop.
 > make[1]: Leaving directory
 > `/home/dustin/code/autoconf-archive/t/autoconf-archive/doc'
 > make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
 >
 > Sure enough, doc/Makefile doesn't have a rule for that file.

Yes, the bootstrapping procedure is slightly more complicated. The
following command sequence should work fine:

  ./bootstrap.sh             # set up autotools and gnulib environment
  ./configure                # determine system properties for build
  make maintainer-generate   # update all generated files that go into a release
  make                       # update texinfo documentation

Also, there is

  make web-manual && ./fix-website.sh

which generates a version of the documentation that can be uploaded to
the web site. That uploading part still needs to be automated, though;
that's work in progress.

I hope this helps!

Take care,
Peter