autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #7071] acx_pthread should use "-pthreads" on 10.6 OS X systems

From: anonymous
Subject: [patch #7071] acx_pthread should use "-pthreads" on 10.6 OS X systems
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:33:28 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hi everybody,

while compiling GNU Octave on my new Mac 10.6 system I found out that I need
to definition "-D_REENTRANT", otherwise the compilation of some files fail. A
good starting point for the discussion we had is here

  http://old.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=27248324&framed=y

Searching the www also brought me to the option "-pthreads" which sets up
linker flasg, too. A nice statement about it can be found here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/875789/gcc-do-i-need-dreentrant-with-pthreads

one says," You investigated properly and answered your own question. Use g++
-pthread, it is equivalent to g++ -pthread -D_REENTRANT. Using g++
-D_REENTRANT would be different, it may not set all the linker flags."

Finally, my suggestion to the GNU Octave project was the patch that I've
attached to this ticket but I'm still unsure if this is the best solution.

Best regards

  Thomas

File Attachments:

Date: Sa 23 Jan 2010 21:33:27 UTC  Name: pthread.diff  Size: 381B   By: None