autoconf-archive-maintainers

[patch #8613] Simplify _AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11_testbody

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [patch #8613] Simplify _AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11_testbody
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 08:27:41 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4, patch #8613 (project autoconf-archive):

I tend to agree with Peter Johansson in so far that Autoconf traditionally
checks whether certain features work by *trying them* rather than by looking
at the compiler version, etc. The advantage of these practical tests is that
they tend to produce reliable results for any kind of compiler, whereas the
latter approach works only for compilers that are known to the macro.

Now, I realize that your patch doesn't suffer from that disadvantage, because
it uses a well known CPP define rather that a list of known compilers. Still,
it's vulnerable to compilers declaring that define incorrectly.

All things considered, I don't quite see what value this refactoring adds. If
there were a specific use case that works with the new code but didn't work
with the old code, then it would be fine IMHO to put the philosophical issue
aside. I'm just not aware of any such concrete benefits from applying this
patch?

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?8613>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/