autoconf-archive-maintainers

The intended way to use autoconf-archive

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: The intended way to use autoconf-archive
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:36:51 +0100

See https://github.com/madmurphy/not-autotools/issues/2 for context.

In brief, it's come to my attention that I can't tell, from the autoconf-archive documentation as presented in git, what the intended usage method is; namely whether:

1. Developers should install autoconf-archive like any other package, depend on it like any other build dependency, and allow aclocal to copy specific macros into their projects; or
2. Developers should simply copy the macros they want into their projects' m4 directory.

Or both, or something else. I have been doing 2; the developer of not-autotools claims (reasonably) that the intended way to use autoconf-archive is 1.

It would be nice if there were a section in the autoconf-archive documentation that settled this question.

--
https://rrt.sc3d.org