Re: [Autoconf] Autoupdate is broken.

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Autoupdate is broken.
Date: 19 Sep 2000 14:22:29 +0200

| Hello!

Hi Pavel, thanks for the bug report, and the fix (which is perfectly
right).

| This patch works for me, i.e. autoupdate works and the testsuite still
| passes. And even configure still works with old macros.
|
| ========================
| --- acgeneral.m4      Thu Sep 14 23:22:57 2000
| +++ acgeneral.m4      Sat Sep 16 22:56:56 2000
| @@ -683,7 +683,7 @@
|  # interest in running the test suite on both OLD-NAME and NEW-NAME.
|  # This macro makes it possible to distinguish such cases.
|  define([AU_ALIAS],
| -[AU_DEFUN([$1], defn([$2]))])
| +[AU_DEFUN([$1], [$2])])

| However, it is by
| no means a patch made by somebody who knows what he is doing :-)

AU_DEFUN is used for two different purposes: firstly as an equivalent
to AC_DEFUN (plus an `obsolete' warning) for backward compatibility,
and secondly, it provides autoupdate with what the old macro call
should be substituted with.

In sake for optimizations, since AU_ALIAS is used only to duplicate a
macro, I used defn, which is fine with autoconf, but not with
autoupdate.

I'm applying your patch.