Re: bug report

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: bug report
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:38:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Emmanuel!

>       AC_DEFINE(AC_CHECK_TOTO,
>         AC_TRY_COMPILE([#include <toto.h>], [toto()],
>           TOTO=true, TOTO=false))

You should always quote the arguments, especially when you expect
expansion of the arguments, otherwise it happens in a wrong order!

>       autoconf: Undefined macros:
>       ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
>       ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
>       ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
>       configure.in:2:AC_CHECK_TOTO

That's not really helpful, I know. Maybe future versions of Autoconf will
be able to remind you to quote the arguments.

> For information, I am using Autoconf version 2.13 (on a Debian Linux
> system).

Autoconf-2.49a is the current version. It comes with better documentation
that also explains why the argument should be quoted and how to use
AC_DEFUN properly.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin