Re: bug report

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: bug report
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 12:10:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Akim!

> | >   autoconf: Undefined macros:
> | >   ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
> | >   ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
> | >   ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
> | >   configure.in:2:AC_CHECK_TOTO
> |
> | That's not really helpful, I know.
>
> And in fact most of the time, when this message shows up Autoconf is
> not guilty.  And since the test suite guarantees that Autoconf will
> never be, I removed this part of the message (BUG in Autoconf).

To be strict, the testsuite doesn't guarantee it because macros can expand
differently dependent e.g. on the number of arguments.

Anyway, I agree with your decision.

> | Maybe future versions of Autoconf will
> | be able to remind you to quote the arguments.
>
> I can't think of a means to do that.

I can, but it may slow down Autoconf very significantly.

Every macro defined by AC_DEFUN should add some markers to the text it
expands to, e.g.

AC_FOO -> {__ac_marker}Checking foo...

Every macro defined by AC_DEFUN should also be able to check the existance
of those markers in the arguments and report an error if they are found.

This way, AC_BAR(AC_FOO) will have {__ac_marker} in $1 which can be
detected by regexp().

All those markers will be removed from the text by autoconf.sh, maybe in
finalize.awk

This can be slow, but if we receive more reports of this kind we may be
forced to impove "fool protection" at the expence of people running
Autoconf (not configure!) on i386 and Sun-3.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin