Re: AC_PROG_CC not working

From: Morten Eriksen
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC not working
Date: 10 Oct 2000 13:02:49 +0200

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

> So I am back to something I raised some time ago: why the heck do we
> have to compile to recognize Mingw etc.?  Can't we just uname?

I'll second that notion. :^)

One argument for using the output of uname in some form instead of the
current scheme is that the Cygwin test (at least) will fail if not
using GCC as the compiler. I'm using MSVC++ cl.exe now, and the Cygwin
check gives me a false negative because it's checking for the current
compiler to define __CYGWIN__.

(BTW, isn't it bad style of Autoconf to need to check for Cygwin,
Mingw and EMX OS/2 in the first place? I can see the result is used in
the AC_EXEEXT check -- but this macro is fubar anyhow and in bad need
of a rewrite.)

Regards,
Morten