Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Success (mostly) with the testsuite
Date: 25 Oct 2000 14:52:35 +0200

>>>>> "Daniele" == Daniele Arena <address@hidden> writes:

Daniele> This one seemed to be working better... At least it gave no
Daniele> errors on exit and it did create a Makefile. Hope it's fixed?

OK, then the problem is that your shell is bad at following escaped
quotes.  What I changed is this snippet:

  ac_file_inputs=`IFS=:
    for f in $ac_file_in; do
      case $f in
      -) echo $tmp/stdin ;;
      [\\/$]* | ?:[\\/]*)
         # Absolute
         test -f "$f" || { echo "configure: error: cannot find input file
\\\`$f'" >&2; exit 1; }
         echo $f;;
      *) # Relative
         if test -f "$f"; then
           # Build tree
           echo $f
         elif test -f "$ac_given_srcdir/$f"; then
           # Source tree
           echo $ac_given_srcdir/$f
         else
           # /dev/null tree
           { echo "configure: error: cannot find input file \\\`$f'" >&2; exit
1; }
         fi;;
      esac
    done` || { (exit 1); exit; }

I remove the

        cannot find input file \\\`$f'

part of the error messages.  This is a real pain.  Is your system
really `alive' in the sense that other people might use it today?
Isn't it a system that its users should update?  Because if it is,
maybe we can diagnose that it is too broken.  Otherwise we will have
to struggle a lot to get something working on it.

Do you install GNU package by hand on your system?  Do they compile
cleanly?  For instance, can you compile the textutils?

Anyway, I'd propose simply not to use `$f' here, but simply this:

  ac_file_inputs=`IFS=:
    for f in $ac_file_in; do
      case $f in
      -) echo $tmp/stdin ;;
      [\\/$]* | ?:[\\/]*)
         # Absolute
         test -f "$f" || { echo "configure: error: cannot find input file: $f"
>&2; exit 1; }
         echo $f;;
      *) # Relative
         if test -f "$f"; then
           # Build tree
           echo $f
         elif test -f "$ac_given_srcdir/$f"; then
           # Source tree
           echo $ac_given_srcdir/$f
         else
           # /dev/null tree
           { echo "configure: error: cannot find input file: $f" >&2; exit 1; }
         fi;;
      esac
    done` || { (exit 1); exit; }

But it bugs me somewhat.

Maybe we should go to using `read'.  Pavel, Alexandre, what would you
say?  I confess I'm quite attached to a standard layout of the error
messages, hence I do prefer the original.

Or we go back to the old and painful way of creating that list :(

Is xargs portable?